Developing Guidance for High Conservation Values (HCV)
FSC-GUI-30-009 V1-0 & FSC-GUI-60 009 V1-0 D1-2
3 May 2016
FSC is developing guidance for different stakeholders, including Standard Development Groups (SDGs) and forest managers, on how to interpret Principle 9. The guidance will give advice to identify, assess, maintain, enhance, and monitor HCVs, including intact forest landscapes.
- HCV Guidance for forest managers for managing and maintaining HCV’s in FSC certified forests.
- SDG Guidance for Standard Development Groups (SDGs) to develop national HCV Frameworks.
- HCV Framework's template to be filled by the Standard Developers for developing national interpretation of HCVs.
- IFL Guidance for forest managers for managingi Intact Forest Landscapes (IFLs) while respecting Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) in FSC certified forests.
John Cathro, Canada
Seven working group members comprise the high conservation values, technical working group
- Cynthia Lu Chin, WWF, Malaysia
- Pablo I. Ramirez de Arellano, ARAUCO, Chile
- Mikhail Karpachevskiy, Transparent World, Russia
- Chris Wedeles, National Standard Development Group, consultant, Canada
- Daniel Hall, Guide Environmental, USA
- Rosanne Van Schie, Forest Conservation and Economic Development Advisor Wolf Lake First Nation, Canada
- Isabel Garcia Drigo, Lead Assessor Rainforest Alliance, Brazil
Two technical experts support the technical working group:
- Pamela Perreault, FSC Canada, Canada
- Anders Lindhe, HCV RN, Sweden