FSC has aligned its approach on addressing forest conversion through social and environmental remedy by developing the FSC Remedy Framework, which consolidates the Conversion Remedy Procedure and the PfA Remediation Framework in one document. This framework promotes restoration through social and environmental remedy with standardized requirements against which the remediation and restorative activities of non-conforming companies will be assessed.
The FSC Remedy Framework aims to:
- Ensure transparency in how FSC deals with companies non-conforming with Policy for Association and Policy to Address Conversion requirements.
- Develop roadmaps that are fair and ensure proportionate remedy of harm
- Improve the integrity of the FSC certification scheme
- Have a standardized framework as the foundation for company-specific roadmaps for potentially ending disassociation, remedy, and addressing conversion between 1994 – Dec 2020
- Set clear and measurable conditions in roadmap processes for potentially ending disassociation
FSC will be organizing stakeholder engagement activities with ample opportunities for involvement by interested stakeholders. Further information on the upcoming stakeholder activities will be provided here.
Contact: Jessica Surma, Project Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A summary of steps taken and process to date
At the General Assembly, FSC members approve Motion 37, the changes to the Principles and Criteria to implement the Policy to Address Conversion and therefore allow remedy for past conversion through the Remedy Framework.
Read the news item here.
These webinars will present the FSC Remedy Framework, which is a holistic document incorporating the former Policy for Association Remediation Framework and Conversion Remedy Procedure.
Webinar dates and registration links:
26 April at 08:00 (CET): Register here
This session will be simultaneously translated to Bahasa Indonesia.
27 April at 16:00 (CET): Register here
This session will be simultaneously translated to Spanish.
Listen to a recording of the presentation here
Read answers to webinar questions here
These webinars introduced the two policies and the FSC Remedy Framework, followed by information on the specific aspects of the Policy for Association and Policy to Address Conversion, which are open for consultation.
Read answers to webinar questions here.
Listen to a recording of the presentation here.
The first draft of the FSC Remedy Framework is available for consultation
Read FSC’s statement
Read the summary of consultation material
Provide your feedback here
See updated timeline
Read the summary of the study on the economics of remedy of conversion